While planning the wedding can be exciting (and sometimes stressful), at the end of the day the wedding ends and the marriage remains. Will you age well together? How do you handle stress as a couple? Do you have the skills and tools to navigate tough times?
Yes, planning the wedding can be fun- but planning the marriage will give you the foundation needed to build a life together after the wedding ends.
So what does planning a life together look like and why does a “check-in” help?
Pre-marital therapy can be a turn off for many young couples that are happy and in love. Many feel that they should not pay to fix something that is not broken. However, much like a car, relationships need regular maintenance. Why wait until things are broken when you can tweak and change things to prevent any major damage ahead of time? Pre-marital therapy may be a preferred option by some but there is another option as well: a well-known on-line & in-person assessment called Prepare and Enrich.
Prepare and Enrich, is an option for couples who are not in crisis but want a “check up” about their relationship before marriage. Here are 4 excellent reasons to do the Prepare and Enrich program with a trained facilitator:
1) The assessment is enjoyable! It provides a way to explore strengths as a couple, but also identify growth areas that can make the couple stronger. The on-line assessment is taken by each person, separately, in the privacy of one’s own home and provides interesting questions to think about. The results are then reviewed by a certified facilitator and printed for the couples convenience
2) It helps a couple assess if they are on the same page about a variety of issues. It’s not a test of the relationship or a tool to tell you whether or not to get married. It ultimately helps a couple see their strengths and areas of growth.
3) Prepare and Enrich helps highlight the similarities and differences in opinions. Living a life together comes with many big life issues such as finances, parenting and conflict resolution. When couples don’t agree on these issues, it can create a lot of tension, disconnection and conflict. The assessment gives a couple the opportunity to have a conversation with a trained facilitator who helps navigate those issues in a healthy and productive way.
4). For couples that are highly agreeable, it is a chance to explore their beliefs further and deepen the conversations. Knowing that two people are already in tune with one another and agree on many of the same values only further strengthens the relationship and provides more hope and confidence that a couple will be able to weather whatever life brings them.
What are the benefits of the Prepare and Enrich Assessment through Lotus Point Wellness, Inc.?
- The assessment can be taken in the privacy of the couple’s own home(s). Then the results are then reviewed by a certified facilitator and printed for the couple’s convenience.
- The package we have created is affordable and not overly time consuming or overwhelming.
- If the couple should want to continue to work on certain hot button issues they can purchase additional sessions to continue growing with their facilitator as their guide.
- We offer two locations (Silver Spring and Bethesda), flexible scheduling, and ability to conduct sessions on evenings and weekends.
With Prepare and Enrich through Lotus Point Wellness Inc. you are able to customize your experience to get the most out of it.
Are you too busy before your wedding to set aside time for Prepare and Enrich? No problem, newlyweds are also welcome to participate!
So while you are busy with cake tastings and dress fittings remember that the wedding is one special evening, but that the marriage is a lifetime. Consider Prepare and Enrich as a way to enhance your relationship, build a foundation for the future, and enjoy one another as you embark on this journey together.
For questions about the Prepare and Enrich program or to schedule please contact Brittany Beck, MA, Associate of Lotus Point Wellness Inc. at email@example.com or Marie Caterini Choppin, MSW, LICSW, LCSW-C, director and owner of Lotus Point Wellness Inc. at 301-625-9102