1) Walking wakes you up! There is not a better way to start energizing your body than to begin moving. By moving, you begin to breath deeper, your heart rate increases and your muscles become less stiff. As we get older, this is especially important!
2) Walking helps your brain being to move. I notice every time I take a walk, that I have a lot of interesting and creative thoughts. My brain becomes engaged in the world around me.
3) Walking allows your mind to begin to focus. As you walk, your brain beings to think – this could be on the upcoming day’s events, things you need to get done or just philosophical thoughts about life and it’s purpose. Wherever your thoughts take you, it means your brain is active and alive.
4) Walking connects you to the outside world and nature. Depending on where you live, if you are able to see nature, especially, walking reminds you that you live on earth and that life isn’t all about the To Do lists, the boss you have to deal with or worries about your children. When walking, if you can focus your attention on what’s around you, you will notice more details than when you are driving by.
5) Walking provides an escape from daily stresses. If you walk with an intention to NOT think about your daily stresses and rather look around and pay attention to what you see, it becomes a meditation and a way to distract from those negative thoughts and find some peace in your life, even if it’s just for 30 minutes a day. It really helps relieve stress.
GET UP AND TAKE A WALK – it’ll dowonders for your body, mind and spirit!